Monday, March 21, 2011

Positive Story

Pet names/ yard names / nick names whatever you want to call them are popular in Jamaica. I get called white man allll the time; to the point where I respond to it instinctively. I don’t mind it but I can’t stand the occasional, “white boy”. That’s derogatory.

In my community I don’t get white boy or white any anymore. One afternoon O.J. – a 11 year old boy down the street started screaming white boy when I walked by his house in the morning.
-No no no, I shouted back. That’s not fi mi name (my name)!
Den, wha me call ya? (Then, what do I call you)?
-You can call me Gavin.
A frown crossed his face as he shook his head.
-Well, if me haffie have one yard name… White Chocolate?
WHITE CHOCOLATE!?!?! Ahahahahahah

When the kids joke with me they call me white chocolate. Hey, it better than white boy…



Still playing soccer a few times a week with the kids. It’s been great.

I also introduced many of the kids to facebook. Last week Bepsi (like Pepsi with a B) came over to ask me if his older cousin could come over and do something very important on my computer. I said sure. When his cousin nicknamed Texas (I’m from texas so this was confusing for weeks) came over he immediately logged on to facebook! However, a screen sprung up. “You have been banned for 4 days because of spamming. If you are not friends with the people you are friending do not friend them.” To my delight, Texas moaned “Not again.”

I gave Texas a quick overview of the function of facebook and how to post pictures. At the end of my demonstration I friended him. His eyes lit up when he say how many white girl friends I have. “I’m friending all of them!!”

The rest of the time I helped him navigate the internet. He was very interested about obtaining information on Jamaican armed forces. The internet is going to revolutionize the entire world over night. Mark my words.

No comments: