Saturday, November 21, 2009

Water Fountian Project

After reading the book Ugly American I started looking around my community for a small project that could have a large impact. While brainstorming at school I became very frustrated that a teacher had locked off the drinking station because the school was concerned that some of the students where wasting water. When the school opened the drinking station I was offered a cup but no students where so I declined the cup and drank for my hands like the rest of the students...


3 Problems- (and this is a very common problem in Jamaica)
1 Limited water supply at schools.
2 Large volume of water is wasted by current method of accessing drinking water
3 Current method of accessing water is unsanitary. No Soap

Solution- Water Fountain

Problem still Unresolved- Inconstant pressure makes adjusting water fountain impossible. As seen in the video students occasionally are soaked.

Cost- About $40 USD for water fountain and $10 for pipe. I don't know how Peace Corps would feel about me soliciting money but I think I am allowed to ask for friends and family to send me birthday money; for my birthday I would enjoy installing another water fountain. (I have spoken to many plumbing retailers in Montego Bay and none of them could refer me to a shop that sold water fountain heads, purchased online)










1 comment:

Edjib said...

I missed your phone call (again). I am sorry.
I love the video - great job with the fountain! And, I don't think anyone would complain about getting a little splash oh a hot day.