Friday, June 12, 2009

Challenge for the Day - Technology

Today I was invited by some other Peace Corps Volunteers to Negril to ask some of these swank hotels to sponsor our schools. I was very hesitant because an American Missionary group recently arrived in my town to preach and work on some projects. But when Anne said that it was going to be an adventure and would help the kids, I decided to go for it. I took the trip to Negril very seriously and spent most of the night before (5pm - 11pm) writing up project plans. I even woke up at 5:30am to get the first bus out of my community so I could come here to a computer lab and print out my project plans. One little problem, the computers here can not open MS Word documents. I feel like there has to be a way to do it but I don't know how. I am trying Google Docs but it's not working....Someone just tried to help me but I have huge pictures in my project plans so they are taking forever to open. The waiting list for a computer is huge. So much for getting up early. Next stop will be one of the hotels and see if they have the right software to open the document. ahhhh. Some days are a challenge.

2 comments:

Sarah Osman said...

Gavin! I just wanted to let you know that I finally caught up with your blog and I read all of it and realized that you have NOT been telling me alls the goings on in Jamaica over the phone! >:o! haha The Biker Rally is in Austin this weekend and there are motorcycles EVERYWHERE! and we made the switch to digital tvs so that's all over the news. I miss you and I love you! And I promise next time you call I'll pick up the phone!

Anonymous said...

Gav, sometimes the solution to the word prob is simply saving it as an older word doc such as 98 cuz a lot of the computers may not be regularly updated. How did it go tho? I really miss our long talks :-(