Thursday, July 16, 2009

"Big Up"...."Computer Down"


Wowzers, it’s been hard for me to find access to the internet.



I received a box of educational material in the mail from my mom and the material and the little experience I have picked up has vastly improved my teaching ability. I am really enjoying teaching my own class.

Community Crime update-

In terms of the national security code crime color thingamajig, I would call it code level Red. No recent shootings but more are likely.



Went Salsa dancing in Kingston with a few volunteers. Heaps of fun!

Highlights of the week-

Getting into a taxi and the driver pulling over at a mechanic shop to get something fixed then driving to his home to “change into fresh clothing”, 10 minutes later someone comes out and tells me that the driver will be out soon after he is finished with his bath.



Dear President Obama:



Just in case you are curious, I have personally tested every single mosquito in Jamaica and I am pleased to report Malaria is not present.

Gavin Finnegan



P.S. Please send anti-itch cream.

Insight-

“Peace Corps , the hardest job you will ever love.”

False, mowing my neighbor’s lawn for $10 was much worse.

Ha

On a serious note

Big up yourself!

Gavin



Bust!

Last night I found out that because previous Peace Corps Volunteers did not take advantage of the entire grant money allocated to their group, my group (80) is now allowed to apply for their grant money. This assistance is usually reserved only for veteran Peace Corps Volunteers so I was thrilled and got right to work. I wanted to write a grant to retrofit our school water system so that the school could conserve water while supplying water to the students on a consistent basis (hand washing, flushing toilets and drinkable water). The second grant I wanted to write, if approved, would have funded the completition of the delapitated bus stop; turning it not only into a functioning bus stop but also into a community notice board and a sign notifying drivers that they are entering Stonehenge. Sounds kinda lame but a notice board would actually be a handy way of notifying people of community events.

BUT!!!!!!! My computer broke today. The screen will not turn on and it gives me a nasty beeb and turns itself off. So now I have 30 minutes of computer access at the public library. After I get kicked out of here I will walk over to a computer shop and see if it’s only my power cable that is malfunctioning. My computer is under warranty but I am going to have to ship it back to America on my own dime and then have it shipped back to Jamaica. I better not get a customs tax on top of that : (

I have been granted money for a bicycle. And I believe there is a public library within ridding distance of my house so the lack of a computer might not be that difficult to get around. No worries.

Every day is a great adventure!
Thanks to everyone that supported me. Wouldn’t be here without you.







Check out rule 11. Don't worry, everyone's an expert

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of all the amazing work you are doing. Reading your blog, I can pick out ways you are living nearly every beatitude and corporal work of mercy. I pray for you everyday. What age range of kids do you teach? My mom has taught preschool and high-school and my aunt teaches elementary school. They may have some good ideas for lessons. Call any time you get a chance. I miss you! --Lauren Valdin