Saturday, July 25, 2009

School was going great….

For the past three weeks I was teaching summer school at the All Age School and I loved it! But because of a long chain of events school has been canceled for the entire week : (

So every morning this week I would wake up at my usual 7:30, eat breakfast and walk down to the school. A few kids show up every morning expecting summer school. So for about an hour I sit on the steps of the school and we work on Language skills. I teach them proper English and they in turn teach me Patwa. After reading The Ugly American (highly recommended for people entering or thinking about Peace Corps) I approach my service in a different way. I am putting a lot more emphasis on integrating into my community and not with other Peace Corps volunteers.

Spoke to a lot of people back home, Lauren D. Dan K. my mom, my dad, my brother, Darren E, and tried to call a few others. It was great to hear from all of you. Miss you and come visit soon!

I am writing grants today. Working on starting a Farmers Co-op, and getting my hands on some teaching materials. Have to run!


ADDITION:
Grant-

I want travel to the surrounding schools to install “Self Closing Bubblers” - water fountains and discus germ transition. Currently, almost all the students in Jamaica use their germ ridden hands as cups. Even I do it occasionally. Plus, many schools have water shortage issues (quickly burn through their water storage tanks and go days without water). Water fountians would increase the schools health standards and conserve water. I have many grandiose ideas, but I think this simple improvement would bring the greatest impact from the smallest cost.

No comments: