Tuesday, June 11, 2013

6/4
Back to Goma...

I made it to Goma, but now I’m stuck at the Planet Hotel in Goma until I can work out my travel arrangements to Butembo. I’m using this time to organize my expenses and read Heart of Darkness. Nothing much to say about this.

6/5 
Father Patrick

Finally made it to Butembo, and have settled in to my new home for the next 10 weeks.

When I arrived I was taken to the Caritas building to meet all the local staff. My guide brought me from office to office introducing me as “Patrick”. I decided after a few failed attempts at helping the staff pronounce Gavin that I should just go by my middle name Patrick. I was also introduced as single! Turns out, most of the staff are single young local women.  The only reason I point this out is because it sets up what happens later…


Next we went to the convent and house where the priests live. I was given a tour and introduced to all the priests. Everyone was shocked I didn't know any French but everyone was very warm and welcoming. Then I was shown a few of the rooms.  I stepped into a small room and my bag was sitting on the bed waiting for me! This is my new home.



I’m going to live with 10 priests with a shared bathroom, 4 hours of electricity per day, no English speakers, my own bed, desk and sink. On the sink a bottle of liquor was waiting for me. An hour later I sniffed the bottle; it was filled with water...  

I don’t think I could have asked for a better living situation. Of course I’m not thrilled about the lack of hot water (it’s cold in the mountains) and no internet,  but the priests should be great guides to many communities, great French teachers and provide a safe home for the next 10 weeks.


Now I’m going to jump into a frigid shower.


No comments: