Tuesday, June 11, 2013

5/30 - 6/2/13

“The King of Africa”

This is the email I sent to my mom tonight using my phone-
“Mikeno Lodge in Rumangabo  at the Virunga National Park is breathtaking.  It’s only $80 a night because tourists can no longer come due to the ongoing violence between the rebel group M23 and the Congolese forces. Besides a big donor to the park, I'm the only guest.  Both the government and M23 rebels like the place so they leave it alone. Before I made it to the park I happened to run into the political leader of the rebels! I was afraid they would wrongfully assume I was a spy or something because why on earth a white guy would be hanging out in the national park. I guess they didn't seem to mind.

I'll be here for three nights.  I only have internet in the lobby.  Monkeys move through the towering trees all day, and they have orphaned gorillas here.  When the Park is open, people pay thousands of dollars to see this!  I really would like to travel with you and Cullen.
Love you, 
Gavin.
PS  don't worry.  I feel safe."

Virunga National Park - Breathtaking

I feel like a king here. My bungalow comes with complimentary laundry service and great food. It overlooks a breathtaking valley.  I have a dedicated staff that waits on me hand and foot. The hotel is 5 stars all the way! I even have rangers patrolling to make sure I’m safe at all times (this might not be because it’s 5 star but because rebels control the area and tourists are not allowed in this area). The only drawback (I’m being sarcastic)- I have to occasionally dodge fruit falling from the monkeys high atop the trees. It’s breath taking. Tomorrow I’m visiting the gorillas. Seriously, how is this my life??



But I’m not the King of Africa (I’m looking forward to my rustic living in the bush).  Instead, I’m the Great Gatsby of Africa. Doesn't matter how much you have, if you have no one to share it with. I’m lucky I have an adventure but it’s almost a waste on me. I’d be happy just eating an ice cream cone with good friends.


A little while later… I need a take back. I forgot I live in a dangerous place. It’s late at night and I’m in a lodge separated from the rest of the camp.  It sounded like someone just tried to push open my window! Going to say a prayer and sleep with pepper spray in my hand tonight.  Living the dream?!...

….and a little while later. I might be crazy but I get over fear very quickly. I even tried to walk outside into the black forest to pick up the internet connection on my computer. I basically walked into the forest full of exotic animals and bugs with a flashlight and my computer, aka a signal for everything to come and check me out. I sat down and I was overwhelmed with animal and bug noises. I immediately stood up said “WTF!” and walked quickly back inside.  Inside my room there was a wasp with huge mandibles that was 3x normal American size. It might have well been a flying shark! Over all I would DEFINITELY recommend this place. I think as it is now $600 is reasonable.

In case you don’t know how this international traveling bug bit me- When I was graduating from undergrad I was encouraged to apply to Peace Corps. During the interview I asked two questions-
“I heard a rumor that Peace Corps volunteers spend two years in their host country. That’s not true right?”

The interviewer responded, “haha, you’re kidding right? It’s 27 months!”

“I thought so.” I replied. “I meant it was more than two years.” (I really thought it was 6 months). I continued. “I have a second question. I also heard Peace Corps Volunteers live alone. THIS can’t be true, right?!”

The Peace Corps interviewer didn't laugh this time. She cocked her head and said, “Did you not read anything before you came into this interview?!”

Luckily, I recovered. I didn't know any of this because I didn't really think I was going to join AND if I did join an international organization I thought it would be the Jesuit Volunteers (six months to a year living with other volunteers). Luckily I missed that Jesuit application by a single day and I was accepted into Peace Corps. I had the time of my life!

5/31
Visiting the Gorillas

Woke up to a slight earthquake today. I went back to bed for a few minutes and I was awakened again but this time it was monkeys hanging out on the roof of my lodge.

I spent the day typing my notes from interviews and sending emails.

I did make time to go on a hike through the forest, conduct an interview, and visit the orphaned mountain gorillas that are housed here.  War and poverty have inflicted collateral damage on the Mountain Gorilla population.  In the heart of the park, they have built Senkwekwe Centre, where they care for the orphans. 




6/2
On the Road Again

I loved my time here at Mikeno Lodge, but I really want to get to my site to start working.  So, tomorrow I'm leaving for Goma.  I don't have a hotel reservation, a flight to Beni, nothing.  Best case scenario, I secure a flight for Beni tomorrow.  Worst case scenario, i wait in a hotel in Goma for a few days while I try to hammer out the details.  


No comments: