Thursday, June 27, 2013

Smothering Curiosity

6/22/13 

Typically I write these blog entries offline, since internet is a luxury here in DRC, so even if I wanted to- I can’t verify this- 
I don’t know which was most recent...my last shower or my last blog?
I’m taking a shower tonight, even though I’m not looking forward to the ice cold dribble of water. I know I shouldn't be complaining. Thinking back to when I was in Peace Corps, I would have loved to give up my cold "bucket bath" for a cold shower.

The great progress I have been making with the evaluations here in Butembo is starting to slow. I am being pulled in too many directions. Yesterday, since I was going outside the city, I needed to take an off-road vehicle.  My driver unexpectedly brought me to a local hospital and a doctor gave me a tour of the facility. At the end of the tour he bluntly asked, “So what can you do for us?” My heart dropped and I honestly told him I doubted I could provide any assistance.  I will however look into Texas A&M College of Rural Health, to see if something can be done.  If anyone wants to donate money I’ll happily put you in contact with the hospital.  But, I’d recommend the clinics for sexual assault survivors over the hospital.

That’s heavy.  Also, kinda sad.  Atrocities beyond words…

Today I decided that I will not be taking the short route through the school for at least a day. We all know that children learn through their senses and experiences.  Well, the children in the square excitedly run over to me each day, with their "smothering curiosity".  Using their hands, their noses, their eyes – they touch and feel and yell,  “MAZUNGU!” “the white guy”. 

This afternoon, (Saturday is “fun day” at school), the kids didn't just periodically try to touch my arms but they grabbed onto me and didn't want to let go.  One kid even pinched me. It’s a 300m walk through the school courtyard (3/4 of a lap around a track), that’s a long walk and I have not learned how to say “don’t touch me,I'm King of the Playground!” in French. It will be the first thing I ask my coworkers on Monday. I might even have one of them walk with me so they can say something to the kids….

When I was in the Peace Corps, I was threatened a few times by 20-something year old guys while walking to my house in my community,  yet I never sought anyone’s support.   I can’t believe that I have to tell a coworker to help me out with a group of 9 year olds.   
It’s crazy lol.

I’m still enjoying myself and learning a lot here. I even think I might be putting back on some of the weight I dropped. Eh, maybe not... just had to tighten my belt a notch. But the food is good, people are nice, weather is great, no mosquitoes (knock on wood, I stopped taking my malaria medication), and French is coming along. 



No comments: