Wednesday, May 29, 2013

5/27 – 5/28/13



Tomorrow the A&M team returns to College Station, Texas. We don’t know exactly where I’m going to be stationed yet. I should know within the next few hours. I’d be happy to be stationed anywhere in the DRC but would prefer Butembo. ..

A few hours later. We have two options. Live in the provincial capital Goma and work through Catholic Relief Services- they would provide security, transportation and a place to live. The only drawback is that the security would keep me more confined than I would like.  The second option which I and A&M prefer- is to work with Caritas in the rural city of Butembo. Here I would live in a church provided by the Catholic Church and work closely with the local university.  The problem is we are having trouble hammering out a contract with them.

To provide more time for the contract to be established I will travel with A&M graduate Beau Davis
to the Virunga Park in Rumangabo. I think he runs a guest house, gorilla sanctuary and provides logistic support for the park rangers.  I hear the park is home to gorillas and rebels . I will stay at the park for three nights.
Later, way later that night. Turns out there are a lot of NGO people that like to go out in Goma. Everyone is very friendly and warm, and my hotel is incredible.  But I still want to get to Butembo. I love a good party but something about living alone in a community is special. It’s hard to explain. During Peace Corps I picked up this idea that that quickest way to help a community is when you view yourself as a part of that community. It’s not a better view of aid but it’s the approach I like and I don’t have much time.

See picture my hotel room.


No comments: