Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Africa! Rwanda

Heart of Darkness

I'm finally on my flight from Brussels to Rwanda. I will have logged about 19 hours of flying, 15 of which I have slept. I wake up to eat and that's about it.

I meant to read: "Heart of Darkness" on the flight but I only made it to page 10 so I can't comment on the book yet. But arriving in Rwanda at night feels like I am arriving to the heart of darkness- the airplane's wing blocks my sight of the ground and out in the distance is a sea of darkness.

Made it to the hotel WITH BAGS! The airline staff told us our baggage wouldn't arrive for days. Rwanda at night and the hotel remind me a lot of Jamaica. The night air is hot but it can't conceal the harbinger of a cold night’s breeze that is sure to come. The hotel doesn't have AC but it's not bad at all. I'll try to include a picture... A former Aggie living here meets us for dinner and drinks. I was the only one that ate but the food was good. I try to avoid eating before traveling but hopefully I will be ok for the drive to Goma, DRC.


First night sleep in Africa- I thought I was being overcautious by sleeping under a mosquito net and wearing mosquito repellent to bed. This morning I awoke to what Jamaicans call mosquito lullabies- at least two were buzzing my head and I felt a stinging sensation on my forehead.

No comments: