Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Democratic Republic of the Congo

On My Way! 
May 13, 2013

My shower pours a torrent of water of my body and into my Jacuzzi style tub. The vaulted ceilings, the natural stone walls are nice but the extravagance of the shower is lost on me. Hot water, a shower, just running water is what I appreciate! Peace Corps feels like a distant memory but the ice cold bucket baths and 20 second Peace Corps showers feel like yesterday.

The past week I have frantically finished my Master’s degree in International Affairs from Texas A&M’s Bush School, moved out of my apartment, and said goodbye to good friends. Like the torrent of water that rushes over me, the realization I’m actually traveling to Africa is a little overwhelming. I have been so preoccupied I didn’t make the time take it all in.

Today I will be traveling to the DRC with Dr. Price of the Ag Economics department for two weeks to perform an agricultural assessment.  After the two weeks I will be left behind to act as a contractor for the University and tie up any loose ends. I should be in Goma for 3 months.



The Democratic Republic of the Congo has a history of heartache.  Due to war, corruption, health standards etc., the DRC is number two on the Failed State Index and the poorest country in the world. But the Congolese music, natural beauty and spirit are strong. The DRC sounds like Jamaica. It will be a unique adventure but I have to admit it does feel like I’m going back home.  I love the adventure and this one will be one of my biggest yet.

Morgan, our family dog, pouts outside the bathroom door because she knows I’ll be departing in the morning. Her impatient scratching at the door brings me back to reality. Time to trade in the comfort of home for the adventure and fulfillment of living aboard....On my way!

No comments: