Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Off we go into the wild blue yonder, Beni, May 18th

Today I traveled north to the city of Beni in a chartered United Nations plane. So I can tell everyone I have traveled by a chartered plane. Flying in style! The reason we took the private flight is because the rebels are very active in the national park that separates Goma and Beni.

I feel like describing today in first person....

Stepping off the United Nations plane into the dry African heat was relief. Vince later told me he was nervous during the flight because of the small size of the prop plane and the turbulence. I on the other hand kept my eyes glued to the farming communities below; searching for suitable locations for the crash landing I momentarily considered would be better than the motion/altitude sickness I was experiencing. Thankfully, I made it to Beni in the nick of time.

The city of Beni is an hour plane ride north of Goma and I assume an hour car ride from the border with Rwanda. The city is dusty and hot. The homes appear to be made of mud and grass. The mayor of the town was very receptive of our presence and genuinely thinks our work in agriculture is what the city needs.


According to the mayor, the city lost most of its 22 agro processing businesses due to coffee disease, degradation of the power supply (our hotel only has a few hours of electricity today which is produced at the hotel), high levels of violence and the break down in governance after the former president Mobutu was thrown out of office.

I think my anti-malaria medication induces dreams. I finally was able to catch up on sleep today and I had a very emotionally taxing dream about my father who passed away.

No comments: