Tuesday, May 28, 2013

BUTEMBO May 22nd

I took an hour and a half chartered ride to Butembo and back today without the rest of the team.

Butembo is a sprawling city with no paved roads and sparse generator produced electricity. Attached is a picture of me eating in the finest restaurant in Butembo. 



Notice, I’m eating in the dark.  The prices on menu were jaw dropping- $12 - $50 a plate. The driver was given the equivalent of $2-5 to find his own food. I would have much rather gone with him! I still don’t know what African street food tastes like and I’m sure my stomach is very thankful.

It’s hard to believe the DRC is tied for bottom on the list of failed states.  The DRC is underdeveloped but the people are very hard working. The road to Butembo was covered with people taking their produce to market.  Granted, virtually no houses along the route or even in the cities have power or running water. But a basic economy is functioning well in this area. And women are driving cars, business leaders and taking a leading role in the survey we are implementing so I’m assuming there is a degree of equality here.

Attached is a picture of the market and a house from my moving ride.

I spoke with the director of Caritas (a Catholic charity) in Butembo. He offered me a small room to live in and said he could find me a French tutor. Unfortunately, because of time constraints I did not see the room but was told it might have limited access to electricity. I have very low expectations; I’m just hoping it will have its own bathroom and a mosquito net.

 I do not want to be stationed in Rwanda because I view that as living in an ivory tower. Instead, I want to be with the Congolese people! Security concerns might force me to Rwanda, or worse, back to the United States.

…. Writing again late night.

After speaking with Dr. Price it sounds like I will have to go back to Goma with the rest of the team. I was hoping to stay in Butembo to work but Texas A&M first needs to make a contract with Caritas. I hope something can be worked out…

No comments: