Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Rwanda to Goma, May 17th

The drive through Rwanda was one of the most beautiful sights I could have ever imagined. The road followed a small river that snaked its way though tall mountains covered by small plots of land. I'm surprised how densely populated Rwanda is; everywhere I looked farmers were working the land and walking up and down the street. The capital of Rwanda, Kigali is pristine. While motorcycle taxis buzz down the busy streets, myriad of sweepers keep the streets tidy.

The crossing into the DRC went off without a hitch. The border crossing is located next to Lake Kivu. None of the individuals on my team had heard anything about the "exploding" dangers of the lake. Before departing for the Africa, I read that the lakes depths contain a very high concentration of poisonous gasses producing violent lake overturns due to the nearby volcano. I was trying to downplay the risk but our driver over heard my explanation of the lake and said "the gas is dangerous, there are no fish". This came as a shock to me because I knew the lake had the potential of becoming supersaturated, discharging all of its bent up gas causing thousands of deaths, but I thought that was about the same chance as an asteroid hitting me. The driver’s revelation that the lake couldn't support life is going to be in the back of my mind the entire time I’m working in Goma. I know the lake "turning over" is probably a very small risk but it's still kind of scary.

In terms of poverty, driving from Rwanda to the DRC is night and day. Driving along a beautiful paved road with smiling faces waving at the white USAID jeep we are traveling in is replaced with a red dirt road, cold faces and UN Peace Keepers.

Today I met with agricultural extension and government advisors. We are getting buy-in and advice from the local government for our survey. I’m really impressed with the work of my colleagues. Justice speaks fluent French and makes friends everywhere he goes; Vincent is picking up French incredibly fast and is doing a great job running the logistics; and Dr. Price has a wealth of experience.

I asked a Catholic Relief Service employee why he works for CRS and why in Goma. His answer sums up a lot of how I feel. Organizations like USAID typically are removed from the situation on the ground reducing their effectiveness. And these large governmental organizations are not effective in dangerous places like Goma because of their emphasis on security. Working in a place like Goma you’re not going to find many missionaries or people on vacation.   Instead, development work is unique, down to earth and very rewarding. I’m also impressed with everyone working in development here because when the rewarding nature of aid work wanes, what’s left is a dangerous country that probably can be terrifying.

No comments: