Tuesday, February 24, 2009

20 days. Fat Tuesday

Highlight of the week-
Playing fetch with Morgan at St.Edwards park. Nothing out of the ordinary happened, but as we ran though the shallow creek I knew it was one of those days I will always cherish.

I have been accumulating supplies for the Peace Corps. My mom keeps suggesting more and more things for me to purchase but come on, it's the Peace Corps. Plus, I don't want to look too out of place. Most of the stuff I buy I want to be authentic Jamaican. I will be supporting the local economy while giving myself something to do.

I have a book on Patois (The Jamaican language)next to me and I was planning on ending this entry with a lesson but can't recall anything yet... "soon come"! ha, maybe I can.

1 comment:

Josh said...

hey gavin

just a quick note. i totally understand wanting to purchase local goods as far as supporting the economy and integrations sake, however, jamaica is not really the place for that. a) most people dont buy their clothes here. they get them from the states or england b) they do this because most everything in jamaica is not made in jamaica and the quality is not worth your money.

having said that, you dont have to worry about getting everything. you can get almost any toiletry, medicine, whatnot here (at least in kingston) however i would most definitely purchase and bring anything that's important to you (in particular, clothes, electronics (which are ridiculously overpriced), music, etc).

not trying to scare you or anything :) just dont wager too much on what clothes you can get here.

best of luck on your trip to the Rock. hopefully we'll get to meet sometime.